Serve with 1 cup sliced veggies.
1 yam or sweet potato
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) low sodium black beans
1⁄2 red onion
1 1⁄4 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
1⁄2 cup hemp hearts
1 tbsp oil
1 head iceberg, or butter lettuce, about 16 leaves
Toppings (optional): Smokin’ BBQ Sauce, sliced red onion, sliced tomato, pickles, mayonnaise
- Slice yam in half lengthwise. Place in Multipurpose Steamer. Cover; microwave on high for 6 min or until tender.
- While yam is cooking, drain and rinse beans. Using a box grater, grate onion over a paper towel. Gently squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- When yam is cooked, add beans to steamer. Using Ground Meat Separator, mash. There should be a few beans left whole. Add onion, quinoa, hemp hearts, and rub. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix until well combined.
- Divide mixture into four patties, about 1” thick.
- In a non-stick fry pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 4–5 min per side, or until browned on both sides and heated through.
- To assemble, make four sets of two stacked lettuce leaves. Top each stack with a burger; add additional toppings, as desired. Top with remaining lettuce leaves.
Cook quinoa in Multipurpose Steamer—check out the Steamer Quinoa recipe on epicure.com.
Hemp hearts are a nutrition powerhouse! They are a great source of healthy fat and pack 10 g protein per 3 tbsp—that’s almost as much protein as 2 eggs! Look for hemp hearts in the natural food aisle of most grocery stores.