Easy Peasy Bolognese Stuffed Peppers
To streamline recipe prep, make the sauce the night before.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with a bun and 1 tbsp butter or margarine.
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) crushed tomatoes
1⁄2 cup water or broth
1⁄2 cup plain non-dairy creamer or half and half cream (10%)
Sea Salt (Grinder), to taste
Black Pepper (Grinder), to taste
6 large bell peppers
1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella
Toppings (optional): Smoky Roasted Tomato Nutritional Yeast Topper, chopped fresh basil or parsley
- In a large Multipurpose Pot, combine mix, tomatoes, water, and creamer.
- Cover; simmer on medium heat for 15 min, stirring occasionally. It will thicken near the end of the cook time; stir more frequently at that time to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; scrape out and discard seeds.
- Arrange half the peppers in Multipurpose Steamer; it’s OK if they overlap. Cover; microwave on high until tender, 4 min 30 sec. Stir halfway through cooking. Repeat with remaining pepper halves.
- Place peppers on a Sheet Pan or in a large casserole dish. Fill with Bolognese mixture (about 1⁄3 cup per pepper half) and top with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and edges of peppers are crispy, about 5 min. Rotate pan to ensure even cooking. Sprinkle with additional toppings before serving, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 200, Fat 5 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 570 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g (Fibre 7 g, Sugars 6 g), Protein 19 g.